Encoded Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company advancing precision medicines for a broad range of genetic disorders. Our mission is to unlock new opportunities for viral gene therapy through genomics-driven discovery. We focus on delivering life-changing advances for individuals with genetic disorders not addressable with current approaches. For more information, please visit www.Encoded.com.
The Associate Director of Finance will play a key role in the Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) organization. The candidate will be a hands-on, roll up your sleeves type of problem solver who can navigate the uncertainties of a fast-paced startup to provide technical and strategic guidance to the R&D organization in all finance related matters. This is a great opportunity to join a well-funded, world-changing biotech company. This role is based in South San Francisco and reports to the Head of FP&A.
- Act as FP&A lead for the R&D functions, including financial planning and tracking of operating expenses, headcount reporting, monthly close support, quarterly forecasting, annual budgeting/long-range plan and variance analyses
- Lead the R&D organization in the annual operating plan process and conduct financial forecasts and budget analyses
- Estimate quarterly expense accruals, including pre-clinical and clinical studies. Build and maintain robust Excel workbooks for all projects that enable:
- Estimation of work performed at each period-end
- Comparison of expense trends against Budget/Forecast
- Tracking of invoices received and/or paid by purchase order
- Tracking of expenses recorded on the General Ledger
- Scale financial infrastructure as needed, including systems, tools, processes, financial policies and procedures
- Provide direction to clients on key corporate financial policies, such as Sarbanes-Oxley and departmental policies to ensure proper GAAP treatment of expenses
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders (e.g. CRO finance partners) and help troubleshoot finance-related issues.
- On an as needed basis, participate on high-priority valuation or corporate development projects, including analyses supporting clinical program investment decisions. Projects may also include analyses for M&A and licensing decisions.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Accounting or Finance. MBA and/or CPA preferred.
- At least eight years of Finance-related experience with at least three years in FP&A required; Life Science/Biotech experience required.
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills to support financial analysis and executive presentations
- Adaptability to produce Results: The ideal candidate will be results-driven and must thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. The person must have the ability to deliver results and possess a strong drive to meet and exceed goals and is willing to take ownership of problems and make sound decisions. A “can-do” attitude is an absolute must
- Demonstrated Strategic Ability: The ability to think bigger picture across diverse functional areas of the business and help arrive at the best decision for the overall organization.
- Business Savvy and Financial Acumen: The candidate will possess exceptional financial analytical and problem-solving skills. These skills must be balanced by sound business judgment. Hands-on, with the ability to transition from strategic thinking to tactical execution.
- Change Leadership: The candidate must be an independent self-starter and a proactive leader with a drive to strive for continuous improvement and consistently challenging the status quo. Demonstrated leadership capabilities with the ability to influence all levels of the organization through providing data-driven analytics and insights that drive better results and decisions
- The ability to interact courageously with senior leadership and effectively articulating pros and cons of different available options to drive discussions on financial matters
- Prior experience with ERP systems, Financial Planning tools and other financial systems implementations preferred.
- Positive work ethic, superb communication, and organizational skills with a high attention to detail, and unquestionable integrity and personal ethics.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with the ability to think strategically.
- Comprehensive benefits package, including competitive employer premium contributions
- Meaningful stock option grants
- PTO, sick time and holiday pay
- Generous Parental Leave program
- Pre-tax medical and dependent care programs
- STD, LTD, Life and AD&D
- Professional development opportunities
- Team-building events
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Purple Tie dry cleaning service
- Fitness center
Encoded is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Encoded is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Encoded are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion or belief, color, national origin, gender, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location in which we operate. Encoded will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Encoded encourages applicants of all ages.